Monday 31 March 2008

Monday March 31


We all know how bird food can be rather expensive, and we want to do the best for the birds that visit.


So i put my thinking cap on and thought can i come up with something i can make for myself. After looking around at various mixes, with good fat and protein content i have come up with a mix that i think the birds will like.


By weight i used 300g of peanuts.

150g sunflower hearts.

30g dried mealworms.

125g beef suet.


I then put all those ingredients in a large bowl and mixed it around by hand. I then put the mix into a electric meat mincer. I used the large hole size that i had, which seems to be roughly 1/4 inch across. What comes out of the mincer can resemble a crumble mix. I also found that if the moisture content of the nut is high then this can vary.


What i have done is convert a squirrel feeder so i can use this mix. I put in a wooden backplate inside from back to front so it represents a slope so as the feed with come forward to front. And an extra piece of wood on bottom so as to raise a bit to help keep drier.


Here is a pic of the finished feeder complete with feed.

No comments: